What We Teach
Our classrooms are relaxed, safe and secure. The classrooms belong to the students and provide a community for them. They allow the students’ sense of curiosity and creativity to blossom. Classrooms are filled with the students art, and in many classrooms classical music is played at a level that doesn’t interrupt the students’ learning.
Many of our methods utilize the most effective ways to learn:
- Observing life
- Looking for patterns
- Realizing how things work and fit together
- Making connections
Classrooms are multi-aged. Typically the ages of students in a class span a 3-year period (except for the infants).
- Pre-Primary: 18 months-3 years old
- Primary: 3-6 years old
- Lower Elementary: 6-9 years old
- Upper Elementary: 9-12 years old
- Middle School: 11-13 years old
This method is beneficial for a number of reasons:
- Children are able to build long-term relationships with their teachers.
- Teachers are able to have a greater understanding of their students’ learning styles.
- Children are able to build long-term relationships with other students.
- The older students help to teach the younger students which allows them both deeper understanding of skills.
- It encourages a strong sense of community.
- Children gain respect for each other.
- It helps children learn at their own pace with no pressure to move on before completely understanding each lesson.
- Each level has an uninterrupted 3-hour work period in the morning. During that time, the teachers give individual and small group lessons. When not being given a lesson, students are able to choose to work with materials that reinforce the lessons they have been given.
The younger children mainly utilize two types of Montessori Materials: Practical Life Materials and Sensorial Materials. Practical Life Materials teach fine and gross motor skills. Sensorial Materials teach students to develop their five senses.
Practical Life Materials help teach skills such as the following:
- Colored Cylinders
- The Binomial Cube
- Color Tablets
- The Broad Stair
- The Pink Tower